Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Let's Talk Turkey (part one)

Hi!  Good to see you all again!  Sorry about my little delay - I'm back!  I've been to Istanbul and it was such a great trip!  It was very fun to experience a country I had no knowledge of....that meant very little expectation.  Did you know that Turkey is partly in Europe (Istanbul) and the rest of the country is on the continent of Asia?  I did not.  The city of Istanbul has 19 million people - so they have everything and more.  There is not an ounce of ground unnoticed, they use all of their space.  There is so much history and architecture as well.  We stayed in the Village of Zekeriyakoy and learned words like tesekkurler (thank you), lamacun, simit, kebab, doner, mezze (all food), and my favorite word kizmit - which translates 'meant to be'. 

This first Turkey bit is just a random glimpse - the other posts to come are more organized and my favorite pics.  

My two pals and the gal who hosted us all week - she was AMAZING and the trip would not have been the same without her!  Here we are in one of her 'peoples' warehouses of Ikat fabric (through back streets, in the alley, up some stairs) - definitely not in the tourist book.  OH, how I wish I could start a business with this stuff!  
We took a ferry across the Bosphorus to the Asia side


The skyline filled with minarets - panoramic would've been cool!

Iznik Tiles fill the mosques and other buildings
I forget the name of this intimate mosque (same design as large Blue Mosque) but much less tourist traffic...a hidden gem and a great place to view the tiles up close.




Heading into the Egyptian Spice Bazaar
And, of course, Turkish Delight.  I liked this much more than I thought I would - I feel like an expert now I tried so much of it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment