Tuesday, February 4, 2014

GTP Fabric Plant (Ghana Textiles Printing)

I'm quite involved with a top notch women's organization here (North American Women's Association - NAWA).  We do many things, to include area outings.  This past week we visited a fabric factory - where they make the most popular local fabrics - brands Vlisco and Woodin.  It was - again - nothing like I expected.  A true 'factory', with a good portion of the work still done very much by hand (and no air conditioning).  There was so much information and ground to cover, I'm sure I won't get all the steps right - but try to follow along with a few of my pictures. I did not get good shots of every part of the process, but I can tell you that it was the same idea of the handmade batik I did months ago but on a LARGE scale.  I had no idea.  Let me also say that I left this tour very impressed with the amount of work that goes into this product.  It made me love the fabric here even more - it is definitely made local and I'm a fan.  The pictures are from several sources - my iPhone, my friend's camera, and a professional - www.hannahgatesphotography.co.uk. 

Some of the ladies

Starts with large bundles of 'grey cloth' (cotton)
Stitched together to make LONG pieces
Starch removed and the process begins

Copper tubes with computer generated designed are used to stamp the fabric

 Lots of dye




This wheel is used to dunk fabric into indigo dye


Another layer of design is 'stamped' on by hand (refer to blog about handmade batik)


Instead of sponges, it is a foam board - look at all the designs
The assembly line
Stamping
painting over any part the stamp missed
Loads of fabric everywhere
love it!








No comments:

Post a Comment