Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Africa at Random

 While I will do my best to update you with structured, intriguing posts - it is likely that many random posts will be thrown in.  At this moment, my life is a little bit random, with the only structure consisting of things scheduled for me.  Otherwise, we continue to get out and explore and wait here for our household items to arrive.  The days have gotten a little long because there are only so many DVDs the kids can watch (no tv yet) and our phone line is bad, therefore internet and communication with the outside world is limited at best.  The boys have been playing lots of soccer in the front yard, swimming, and we get out whenever we can.
Because we do not have our car yet, if I don't have a ride with someone, I just hop in a cab.  They are plentiful and very inexpensive.  Chase and I set out on our first cab adventure Monday on a mission to find the 'famous' batik fabric place in town.  More often than not, the cab drivers say they know where they are going, but in reality, they do not.  This was one of those days, so we truly explored until we found our destination.  No better way to get familiar with the area than that.  :)
These are pics I took of our surroundings that day - a very small glimpse of what you see all around you.  Our mission was successful - I made our first fabric purchases with plans for clothing and other items already in the works.  Ghana is known for their fabrics and many other things - I have just begun my hunt for authentic, cool 'stuff'.

 
This is the midget phone truck that meets me when I need to add 'time' to my phone or internet.   
They carry EVERYTHING on their head
There is A LOT of traffic here - this is just a quick shot of one road in a 'good' traffic time



Goats, cows, chickens, right next to you at any given time

Here she is - famous Esther - the first of many trips I will make here
 
Tro Tro - the name of a bus like cab - there are also everywhere, very cheap, and packed to the max

No comments:

Post a Comment