Sunday, December 8, 2013

Tis the season to.....dress up?

It's ball season here - and I don't mean football.  It was like November started and all the fancy events started too.  Brett and I first attended The Melbourne Cup - (think Kentucky Derby for Australia) at the Australian High Commissioners Residence.  Such a fun night - I wore a little doodad in my hair...because I was a little unprepared with a 'hat'.  Oh, but next year my hat is going to be awesome!
I also did not get a good pic of us - really, I wasn't ready for all the fanciness.  The two weekends following we had Marine Balls.  One in Accra and then another in Lome, Togo.  Because Brett is accredited in that country as well, we were asked to come.  Driving to Togo meant a border crossing and visiting another African country.  The main differences between Togo and Accra are that Togo is much smaller and it is French speaking.  We ate all our meals at the Ambassadors Residence so we didn't get to taste the amazing French food everyone raves about, but we did visit a French grocery store on the way out of town  - for the cheese and wine.  To be honest, it was not a big deal for me, but I guess if you're into that.......

There are still several fancy events on the calendar in December - so I guess I'll talk about those in another post.  I don't mind the occasional dress up event, I really don't - but it's never going to be my favorite.  Not to mention, it's a billion degrees here every second of every day, so my hair was a disaster and my face was a sweaty mess too.  But fun times, fun people, and quite a happening social scene over here - who knew?


Ball No. 1

Togo


The French cheese and wine


Ball No. 2



No comments:

Post a Comment