Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Teach a man to fish.....

On the morning of our second day, the fisherman were just a little ways down on the beach pulling in the days catch.  I've wanted to see this process from start to finish but usually the reeling in takes more time than I've had or they reel it in further away than I can go.  SO....I was very excited to hoof it down the beach and be a witness.  Brett, our friend Joel, and even the boys, got in on a little of the action as well.  Really - it just fascinates me.  But, can I make this one observation?  I've said it before, but truly, these people are resilient and unbelievably strong.  I don't mean strong like muscle strong (although that's a given), but a tenacious, gritty, raw strong.  Getting out of the city (chaos) is always good for me.  It's a different Ghana experience, and one that I can appreciate.  I wasn't involved in the pulling in of the net, but the guys said it was very hard.  And I don't know exactly what was in the net, if it was a good day or bad, but I can testify that it is not an easy way to make your living or feed your family.  Mercy.  Yet, it is what they know and not a one of them complained. In fact, most of them had big smiles on their faces.  Fascinating.  

This boat followed the net into shore
The first sign the net is getting closer - and the group continues to build

The view from the middle
It takes a village...literally.

Such teamwork

the catch

Sorting through the catch

Buckets used for sorting


Heave Ho







No comments:

Post a Comment