Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Shopping Around Accra

I make it my personal mission when I move to a new place to find all the treasures, in every nook and cranny, on every side road, in every little town.  So far, I've tried to go out exploring one day during the week (usually with my friend Tish) and Saturday if no plans (usually with my friend Jen).  Most of the time it is finding a new shop or local craftsman and usually includes lunch at a different restaurant.
Almost every outing has been productive, we've discovered something unique, and found ourselves fascinated.  But most definitely each outing is an adventure.  Here are some pics of local shopping I've done recently.  Items you might find here - there is no way this covers it all - I tried to pick out the items that were different or that just caught my attention.  There are photos of Tettah Quarshie Market, Legion Village, and the Koforidua Bead Market.
sweet elephant art

masks - they are plentiful
maybe I'll come home with a ginormous giraffe
This art is such a good depiction of the traffic here

animals from recycled aluminum cans

Tin Tin 
motorcycles from recycled materials


candle holder
typical shop






Art

taxidermy alligator
tribal dancers
more art

warrior

Dash from The Incredibles?
so much color here
I will DEFINITELY get one of these chairs - super comfortable too!!
nicely displayed beads
Legion Village
Fertility Doll



Piles of antiquities

It might seem surprising all there is to do here - I have been a bit surprised myself. Granted, we're not even 3 months in - but most of these places I'll go back to again and again. Or if you visit - I'll take you there.  :)  There are many places to go, see, and explore - the only difficulty is often getting there. The traffic here can be SO CRAZY and it's actually a good idea to be home by noon or shortly thereafter.  The roads are also a little less busy on the weekend.  The other thing that I am still not used to - every time I seek out a 'shop' - even popular shops in books, etc... - they are shanteys in an alley, without air conditioning, where you can barely ever find them.  Yet people (like me) do.  On one of our recent outings, I called the number listed in the guide book, and the gentleman met us in the middle of traffic and we followed him (he was in a cab) to the shops.  He then was our personal tour/shop guide.  Crazy.  











No comments:

Post a Comment