Sunday, August 11, 2013

Makola Market

Awww Makola Market - I have been curious about you.  This is the very large market in Accra - where you can find and purchase anything!  It is very very crowded and for some not worth the effort.  From what I hear, you either love it or hate it!  On my very first visit with my new friend Jen - I must say I LOVE IT!  Maybe it's because she, too, is an adventurous shopper so we had no trouble going wherever the road would take us.  Our main mission was to find the fabric vendors - which we did with no trouble.  It is an ALLEYWAY of nothing but fabric.  Oh heaven!
The arch is the landmark of Makola Market











I bought several yards from this beautiful shop owner - really, don't you love her?
so colorful and fun!




fabric stuffed in every spot - it is so fun!! 



This is looking back at the alley

We wove our way through the market until we found the very large produce, meat, fish, spice market.  There are just a few pics - they are not fond of having their pictures taken in here - but I don't feel like they really do it justice anyway.  These pictures should really be scratch and sniff - this part of the market has some smells that would make you turn and run!  So much stuff packed in tight, warm spaces.  Eek!  Needless to say, this part of the market I will not spend much time in.  :)





But isn't it fascinating?
One last story - this one goes down as my most embarrassing moment ever! (or at least comes very close).  We had just hopped out of the cab and were at the beginning of the market when I started getting very mean glares from folks and they were saying what sounded like 'shorts - your shorts'!!  We just kept walking until  my friend let out a scream and said ''Amy, your shorts are ripped"!!!!  Not just ripped - my entire backside was exposed!  Our guess is that I caught them on something getting out of the taxi!  It all happened so fast, but a very nice woman gave me her fabric scarf to cover myself and pulled me in her shop where we gave my shorts to the man below and he stitched them right up.  We laughed for quite awhile and then went about our hunt to find the best fabric.  :)  Such nice people here, it's true.  


I didn't even get his name, but he let me snap his picture - he saved me (& my shorts).  :)
I can't wait to go back to Makola!  Visit me and I'll take you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment