Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Time Flies

In some ways it feels like we just arrived in Accra yesterday, I cannot believe how quickly the days and weeks pass.  One of my weekly outings is called Ladies Who Tea - hosted by a different lady each week, and it has been an incredible way to meet other women from many different countries and really network.  I love it!  
Last week we took a group picture - it varies each week!  
This Friday night we attended a wine and cheese event at a friends house and then went to dinner with some other friends at a very nice French restaurant in the neighborhood.  Le Tandem is the name - I had to date the best food I've eaten here at a restaurant, salmon, au gratin potatoes, etc... It is like two worlds here all the time.  The 'I'm definitely in Africa world' and the 'I forgot for a second I was in Africa world' - still feels bizarre to me.  All of it.  :)
On Saturday I did some more adventure seeking with my shopping buddy Jen. We hit the local mall, some local handicraft shops, and another 'tourist trap' art market.  The Art Market was FULL of literally the same things over and over again, and the vendors harassed us to come see their shop, buy their wares, to the point of exhaustion.  I hated it and will likely not go back.  Here are a few pics of our out and about.......


This local basket maker has been around forever, making baskets near the large handicraft shop - riding this crazy bike.  :)

Couldn't resist these two - in training for carrying items on their head?  I don't know but each time I took their picture they would ask to see it and then laugh hysterically at themselves.  Precious!

This is the 'pose' I got after they saw themselves the first time.  

Locals playing soccer - this is a sight you see all the time, playing anywhere, anytime

I also attended the PTO brunch for Chases school - I can't get my videos to download properly - but you should know we were entertained by fabulous African dancing and drumming the entire time.  :)  I met a few other moms with second graders, some parents of kids Chase had already been talking about - He's always talking about the kids in his class, and every name is so different and so not American, and he says them with such ease.  Those are the moments Brett and I smile and say 'he doesn't even really know how cool it is'....he is LOVING his school and that makes us very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment